The Dream City, Paul V. Galvin 
Digital History Collection
Page Next Page
  View larger images: 750x500 pixels or 1500x1000 pixels or Floor Plan [1] [2]
  MACHINERY HALL - The Palace of Mechanic Arts of 1893 is here portrayed as it looked on its two exhibitory facades, and it is doubtful if a more original or beautiful building was ever erected. Its remarkable features were undoubtedly the figures of flying angels just alighting on its many spires with laurel wreaths of victory, and the eye will detect these visitors all over the structure, and in postures most airy and inspiring. The company of heroic figures that seemed to assemble at each portal, too, gave force and interest to those needfully accentuated points, and the great loggias were the largest and most ornate of all those which fronted on the Court of Honor. This building had one, perhaps, necessary fault. It was under three roofs. These roofs drained together, and when avalanches of snow slid down the arches, there was no place for the accumulations to escape except upon the floor below. A picture of the eastern portal occupies a page of this volume, and the statuary may there be fully inspected. Machinery Hall was the creation of Peabody & Stearns, of Boston. The long facade which we see, measured eight hundred and forty-two feet; the shorter one four hundred and ninety-two feet. There was an annex, four hundred and ninety by five hundred and fifty feet. The floor area was thus spread to twenty-three acres without gallery, and the amount of money expended was $1,200,000. The style of architecture was called Spanish Renaissance but it should be named more justly after its ingenious and adventurous authors.
Exposition Home Page || Previous Page || Next Page || Dream City Main Page

Copyright, Paul V. Galvin Library
Digital History Collection
Page created: August 26, 1998