The Dream City, Paul V. Galvin 
Digital History Collection
Page Next Page
  View larger images: 750x500 pixels or 1500x1000 pixels
  THE MERCHANT TAILORS' BUILDING - The scene before us sufficiently locates the position of the Merchant Tailors' Building among the structures of the Fair. It stood at the water-side under the shadow of the Illinois Buiding, the eastern transept of which rises in the rear at the left, and south of the bridge which carried the winding road eastward past the foreign buidings. A view of the south front of the Art Palace is offered at this point, and the gondola in the foreground is about midway between the two bridges. Thirty-seven Merchant Tailors' Exchanges in the principal cities of the United States united to contribute the sum of $30,000, which was expended on this edifice. R. J. Walshe was Chairman of the Committee of Construction. S. S. Beman was the architect. Under the dome was a court, surrounded by columns such as adorned the porticos. The floor was laid in mosaic, and the men's room was on the side of the building at the left. On the other, or north side, was the ladies' reception apartment. Mr. Oliver Dennet Grover, a celebrated painter of Chicago, was entrusted with the duty of making eight panels for the walls of the court, depicting the evolution of human dress and adornment. A blanket made of five thousand eight hundred and twenty pieces of broadcloth, and a characteristic painting by Charles Durand were exhibited. Director General Davis and Chief Allison dedicated the building as a part of the Manufactures Department on May 21st, 1893.
Exposition Home Page || Previous Page || Next Page || Dream City Main Page

Copyright, Paul V. Galvin Library
Digital History Collection
Page created: August 26, 1998