The Dream City, Paul V. Galvin 
Digital History Collection
Page Next Page
  View larger images: 750x500 pixels or 1500x1000 pixels
  MINNESOTA'S BUILDING - The North Star State occupied an enviable site nearly ninety feet square on the line of commonwealths opposite the Art Palace, and erected the designs of William Channing Whitney, architect, of Minneapolis, a structure not altogether unlike the New York Building. On Wednesday, May 17th, 1893, the day of its dediction, this edifice presented a very tasteful and even luxurious appearance. The statue seen at the entrance in the engraving, represented Hiawatha bearing Minnehaha "over wide and rushing rivers." The sculptor was Jacob Fjielde, and the cost of his work was borne by the school children of Minnesota, aided by the Woman's Auxiliary Board of the World's Fair. The group is to be cast in bronze and placed near the Falls of Minnehaha at Minneapolis. In the exhibition hall was another of those striking animal collections which were numerous in Jackson Park, and a relief map or model of the harbor of Duluth occupied a large area. Great elegance marked the furnishing of the woman's apartments. The Woman's Auxiliary Board of Pipestone, Minnesota, prepared a mantel, and a case over this mantel contained a series of historical Indian relics, recalling the bloody days of 1862. In the centre of the hall was a drinking-fountain of Mankato stone. The art exhibit and display of cereals was extensive. Woman artists designed the friezes of the interior, and the influence of women's efforts was visible all through the house. Cost, $30,000.
Exposition Home Page || Previous Page || Next Page || Dream City Main Page

Copyright, Paul V. Galvin Library
Digital History Collection
Page created: August 26, 1998