The Dream City, Paul V. Galvin 
Digital History Collection
Page Next Page
  View larger images: 750x500 pixels or 1500x1000 pixels
  EAST FROM THE TRANSPORTATION BUILDING - This view surveying a scene from the north end of the Manufactures Building at the right, northward to the Cafe de la Marine, offers to the reader a good opportunity to judge of the landscape labors of Superintendent Ulrich's department. On June 20th, 1891, the area embraced in this picture was an open waste of sand, with here and there a slough of water. The island portrayed before us was made of earth dredged from the waterways, and the black soil from the marsh further south was spread on top. It took Mr. Ulrich nine months to made the islands. They measured about seventeen acres. Six hundred men and one hundred and sixty teams were employed. Forty acres of lawns were sodded or sown, all with great success, although it was the dryest summer for years. Under this sod were two hundred and twelve cubic yards of transported black soil. To keep this beautiful scene in order, and to clear away the debris left daily by visitors, required a day and night service with sixty teams and three hundred men. The chief assistants of Superintendent Ulrich were Messrs. Dehn, Obram, Seyderhelm, Hunt, Kline, Kilfoy and Lydons. The man who urged this and all other work forward up to May 1st, 1893, was Dion Geraldine. The vernal scene relieved the eye, and revived the spirits of the visitor, upon whose attention too much of the wonderful and magnificent was continually impressed. Proctor's Indian and Elks, and the Government Building are clearly outlined.
Exposition Home Page || Previous Page || Next Page || Dream City Main Page

Copyright, Paul V. Galvin Library
Digital History Collection
Page created: August 26, 1998